Friday, July 31, 2009

BeerHands

In a very fitting first-night-back in Wisconsin, I visited a bar/restaurant near my parents' house with my eldest brother, and we partook in a "tasting flight" of the house brews. Obviously, we had many thoughts and ideas about the flavors before us and, after much discussion, came up with a rough rating/review scale. Ten mini-beers later, here's what we had to say about the beer on tap at Stone Cellar Brewpub:

Adler Brau Ale:
SH: Daytime drinking OR when you're in it for the long haul.
D (my bro): Agree. Needed for hot summer.

Houdini Honey Wheat:
D: Better than I thought. Soft wheat.
SH: I didn't think I liked wheat beer... and I was right!

Marquette Pilsner:
SOLD OUT!

English Six Grain Ale:
D: Brats/Balanced. Weathers the storm.
SH: Started out smooth, then got bitter -- just like a bad marriage.

Pie Eyed India Pale Ale:
D: Fall, Football, Cigars
SH: Just plain bitter.

Tilted Kilt Scottish Ale:
D: Whistling Straits - Burger & Chips Bar.
SH: This one would be good for watching a band at the 400 Bar in Minneapolis. I can't explain why.

Stone Cellar Stout:
D: Solid Stout. Not a fave, but OK.
SH: Tastes exactly like the Vanishing Vanilla Stout, but without the vanilla scent.

Vanishing Vanilla Stout:
D: No sweets in beer!
SH: More vanilla! Make it count! Not as good (nearly) as Young's Double Chocolate Stout.

Brown Ale:
SH: Fall! Football! Go Pack!
D: Solid Brown Ale. Agree, Packers game.

Smoked Porter:
D: Badness.
SH: I would use this to clean fish, as an alternative to Nicotine gum if I was trying to quit smoking, or to get an enemy to leave my party.

Stone Cellar Root Beer:
SH: Delightful! I want to have kids over for Root Beer Floats! Yay summer!
D: Refreshing, light, sweet.

Finally, if we were having a party with only three taps, here are our choice beers:
D's Party gets:
1-Adler Brau Ale
2-English Six Grain Ale
3-Tilted Kilt Scottish Ale

SH's Party gets:
1-Brown Ale
2-Adler Brau Ale
3-Tilted Kilt Scottish Ale

We are considering offering our beer review services to other Wisconsin establishments. If interested, you can contact us right here at SnackHands World Headquarters by emailing snackhands@nyc.rr.com. Be sure to get in touch quickly -- before we become too busy and important.



1 comment:

  1. such a cute post! makes me want a beer- or some sort of drink!

    ReplyDelete