Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Foie Gras Wars: One Foie, One Against


Snackhands recently turned the last page of this book. It was an intriguing nonfiction tale about how famed chef/restauranteur Charlie Trotter's decision to stop serving foie gras started a big hoo-ha in Chicago and other major food cities about the "to eat or not to eat" ethics surrounding this pricey delicacy. I have to admit I rolled my eyes when the author revealed himself as a vegetarian (writing a book about duck liver!), but he did manage to stay out of the fight himself and presented chefs, foie gras farms and animal-rights activists with equal time. Well, relatively equal; he actually seemed to spend more time with the pro-foie camp. And you can't blame him. Most of the crew crusading against foie gras came off like total nutjobs, and reading about them and their crazy exploits only made me want to eat foie gras even more. Along with duck breast atop creamy polenta. With a side of bacon. And a cheeseburger. And a steak.

You have to be a complete and total food nerd to read this book, and that I am. So much so that when I took quick trip to Chicago (during my Wisconsin stay) to see my good pal S (hereafter referred to as Chicago Meow on the Prowl, or CMoP), I was giddy to get the chance to visit lauded "encased meats emporium and sausage superstore" Hot Doug's, featured both in The Foie Gras Wars and on Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations for the ridonkulous menu item: Foie Gras and Sauternes Duck Sausage with Truffle Aioli, Foie Gras Mousse and Sel Gris.

I drooled at the prospect. I double-checked the website for hours of operation and specials. I printed out maps. I timed my drive. I brought a book for my anticipated hour-long wait in line. And when I arrived at the corner of North California and Roscoe, I had butterflies in my stomach. I was pretty sure that not only was I about to fall in love with foie gras, but also with Hot Doug himself.

Alas, as in all good love stories, there came an evil twist in the plot:


(Gasp.) HEARTBREAK!

No comments:

Post a Comment