Sunday, November 14, 2010

Carb-Loading for Marathon Watchers

Nine times out of 10, when someone makes the crack, "Time to make the doughnuts," it gets a laugh. Okay, maybe a chuckle. At least a smirk. I'm not sure if that's because the mustachioed Dunkin' Donuts worker from the commercial was just that hilarious and beloved, or because the phrase is usually uttered when it's way too early to be doing whatever mundane task you're being forced to do. Last weekend, on the morning of the NYC marathon, I rolled out of bed at 7:30 a.m. and said "Time to make the doughnuts" out loud to no one in particular. I laughed a little bit, partly because of my nostalgia for a great mustache, and partly because I was 100 percent serious, which probably makes me a total dork. BUT, a dork who makes doughnuts is dork easily forgiven.

The NYC marathon is one of my favorite events of the year: The weather is usually the perfect fall mix of sunny yet crisp, the neighborhoods lining the marathon route are loaded with enthusiastic and creative fans, and the event gives me agreat excuse to invite friends to brunch!

Brunch usually starts out on the marathon sidelines with homemade scones (because cheerers need to carb-load too!). This year, it was bacon-maple scones that gave us the energy to cheer for roughly 90 minutes before we reached our mile 26 and had to walk to my place for mimosas and more brunch. Scrambled eggs are an easy post-marathon brunch food to whip up quickly, and they went well with the sausage inwine sauce recipe of my dad's. The highlight of the brunch, however, was the doughnuts. Homemade doughnuts! I made them!

This concept sort of blows my mind. Doughnuts are such a perfect food, it seems like they should always be created by someone else. Someone professional. Still, about 10 years back, I found this recipe for pumpkin doughnuts with powdered sugar glaze and spiced sugar doughnut holes, and it didn't seem all that complicated. And, frankly,it wasn't. I made the dough the night before the marathon and shaped them on the morning of. The only adjustment I made to the recipe was adding ginger and cinnamon to the powdered sugar glaze, and making my spiced sugar with cinnamon and ginger instead of cinnamon and nutmeg. I made sure to keep a close eye on the thermometer in the oil, too, as I was a bit paranoid about a hot oil mishap. But, overall, the recipe was a snap. A dangerous, dangerous snap. The finished doughnuts were delicious (and adorable). I suggest training like a marathon runner if you are going to have this recipe in your possession. (Training to be a marathon eater won't be a problem.)



No comments:

Post a Comment